A wonderful, love-filled Christmas and a blissfully quiet and Schwarzenegger-filled New Year’s Eve.
Despite all my outward protestations that New Year’s is ‘just another day’ and ‘barely a real holiday’, every year I get pulled into the list-making, vow-taking optimism that comes with a new calendar year. I have no logical reason to believe that a 3 where there was a 2 will suddenly transform me into a new being that Dresses Smartly! and Cooks Dinner on Weeknights Regularly! and Balances a Rich Creative Life with Social Outings! and yet I still find myself some time in the early days of January declaring that this is the year I become more/less ____.
In the spirit of my hilarious friend, Sharon, this year I’m trying to keep it a bit ‘mo’ real’;
- focus less on things like ‘becoming famous’ and ‘getting into shows’ and focus more on making art.
- this I will do by cultivating a daily art practice and following through on current projects before starting new ones.
- learn to cook more ‘intuitively‘.
- run 2 half-marathons (one in spring and one in fall)
- drink more water each day than I do coffee (because drinking nothing but coffee and wine in a 24 hr period can’t be great for my kidneys)